Friday, July 2, 2010

The Selfish Fruit Crisp -- deliciousness in a mug. For one.

Last summer I came up with my version of a Cake in a Mug. It was pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Yummy, sweet and rich. This summer I found myself needed a late night snack and out of cocoa powder. I know, how could I be out of cocoa powder? That's just sacrilege! But after making a few chocolate cobblers and brownies I've gone through 2 cans of cocoa in the last month alone. I think it's close to 6 in the last 3 months. But all that matters is that I was out. And it was storming so there was no trip to a store in sight for anyone in this house.

Think. Think. Think. What could I make. I had rhubarb. And frozen blueberries. Could I make something quick and easy with that? Then I saw the left over bread crumbs that I didn't use for dinner. And the butter sitting on the counter...and an idea was born. I was going to make a fruit crisp. In a mug. Just for me.

I tinkered a bit and put it in the microwave and prayed. I futzed around while it was cooling and hoped that I hadn't just wasted precious rhubarb. And then I tried it. And it was really, really good! Like...did I just make that good. Like...I gotta make this again to make sure that it's for real good.

So I did. I made two more using different options for toppings and made my Number One Taste Tester and husband try one. He looked up at me, mouth full, and said "This is really good. Did you just make this?" I told him I was tinkering with it and he told me to tinker some more because one wasn't enough. I told Mr. Diabetic to go back to playing computer games.

I still wasn't 100% sure and needed to have a few other people test it using their microwaves. The reviews have all been great. Some people liked the oatmeal topping, some like the cereal. I personally like the bread crumb one the best. One note about the cereal topping, it doesn't get as crisp as it would in an oven so to one taste tester the cereal ended up feeling like it was a little stale. But she said it was still really yummy and she ate it anyway.

So try it out, mix it up and see which version you like best. But don't blame me if one isn't enough. Enjoy!


Fruit Crisp in a Mug

Ingredients:

Filling
1 cup chopped fruit (frozen, fresh or combo of the two)
1 – 2 tbsp of sugar (1 if your fruit is sweet, 2 if fruit is tart)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp flour
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla (optional)

Topping
½ cup bread crumbs
OR
1/3 cup oatmeal + 1 tbsp flour
OR
I instant oatmeal packet
OR
1/3 cup crushed flake cereal (like corn flakes or honey bunches of oats) + 1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp oil or melted butter
1 tbsp brown sugar (may want to reduce if presweetened instant oatmeal is used)
¼ tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1. In a small bowl mix all ingredients for fruit filling together just until combined.
2. Put ingredients into a large mug.
3. Microwave for one minute.
4. While filling is in the microwave use the same bowl you used for filling to mix together topping.
5. Mix bread crumbs, oatmeal or cereal with oil, sugar and cinnamon.
6. After topping is done place on top of fruit filling.
7. Cook in microwave for 2 -3 minutes or until filling is bubbling over onto topping.
8. Let cool for a few minutes before eating. This will allow the filling to cool so you don’t burn your mouth off and for the fruit juices to form a thick sauce.



NOTE – filling may boil over depending on how full your mug is. You may want to place mug on a microwavable plate to avoid a mess in your microwave and to not waste any yummy goodness.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Thrilled to find this charming blog! I made peach cobbler in a bowl this morning (2 servings), and it seems doubling didn't work so well. It tasted lovely, but the fruit was too thick--needs less flour in the "filling" upon doubling. Thanks for a great idea, though!

Post a Comment