Tuesday, June 1, 2010

First Annual RITK Rhubarb Fest

Regular RITK readers know I have a "thing" about rhubarb.  Heck...it's even got it's own tag. lol  But that's because I love it and have since childhood.  Some of my favorite summer memories were going out into my Great Grandmother Bea's garden and picking stalks, dipping it into sugar and eating it raw.  I will forever remember my Grandma Kay's super sweet and yummy Apple Rhubarb Crisp that she made in the fall with crushed cornflakes and LOTS of butter on top.  As I got older I realized that rhubarb had so much more potential!  I also researched and learned that rhubarb has such an interesting history.  Rhubarb has been around forever and has been used for thousands of years as a medicinal plant, dating all the way back to 2700 BC.  That's a lot of rhubarb!

But let's face it.  Most people don't use rhubarb as medicine, they use it as food.  And most people use rhubarb for pie, which is why it is sometimes referred to as the "pie plant".  It even has it's own national food day!  June 9th is National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day, and yes I will be putting up my favorite Strawberry Rhubarb Pie that day.  But this week I'm focusing on simple applications with rhubarb that anyone can do.  Later today my Strawberry Rhubarb Balsamic Preserves will go up.  Later this week I will post recipes for my favorite version of rhubarb crumble/crisp, rhubarb muffins, a simple classic rhubarb pie and even a Chicken Smothered in Rhubarb dish that will literally make your mouth water.  I'm also hoping to to try out a yummy looking recipe for a cold rhubarb soup and I'm going to be forced to make my friend Kathy's Rhubarb ala Mike again.  It's a tough job but someone has to do it. ;)

Below are a few links for more information on rhubarb.  If you have any questions please ask away!  This is the week to try rhubarb as it's in season, fresh and so darn yummy!  Enjoy!

*Rhubarbinfo.com
*Nutritional Info on Rhubarb
*Gotta consult wiki
*Growing Your Own Rhubarb and Troubleshooting Ideas 


Previous RITK Rhubarb Recipes

*Fluffy Rhubarb Frosting (Field Trip Friday to Coconut and Lime)
*Blueberry-Juneberry-Rhubarb Jam
*Balsamic Rhubarb Sauce
*Red Wine Cranberry Rhubarb Chutney

0 comments:

Post a Comment