Thursday, July 30, 2009

Meatloaf Part Three: My Basic Meatloaf Recipe

I finally did it. I wrote down exactly what I do when I make my Basic Meatloaf. And I say Basic because it really is just a starting point. This is the Plain Jane version but I rarely make it the same way two times in a row. One time I might grate up some zucchini or carrot to add in and another time I might cut up some red and yellow peppers and mix those in. Sometimes I'll top it with ketchup, the next time it will be BBQ Sauce and then whenever I can find it I'll top it with Golden Mushroom Soup from Campbell's. And aghast...there are times I'm just plain lazy and I leave it plain.

One thing I've found myself doing more and more is making a double batch and filling two loaf pans when I make it. This is extra handy if I need to bring a meal to a family that just had a baby or if I need leftovers for some reason. I've included instructions to double as well. I'd like to say that I freeze it to save for another meal but that doesn't happen in this house. My family gobbles it up too fast. I can't really blame them. It is pretty yummy. Enjoy!



Amy's Basic Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs ground meat (any kind or combo will do but the less fatty meats can be a little drier)
1 cup bread crumbs (whole wheat is fine) OR instant potato flakes (GF)
1/2 cup milk OR stock OR water OR any other liquid (DF)
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped onion or 1/8 cup dried minced onion
20 grinds of the pepper mill (I'm guessing 1/2 tsp black pepper)
1/2 tsp kosher salt

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix bread crumbs and milk. Mix in beaten egg and set aside.
3. Assemble all the other ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Add in bread crumb mixture and mix well.
5. Place mixture in a loaf pan and put in oven.
6. Cook for 1 hour, 15 minutes at 350 degrees.


Double Batch Measurements:

3 lbs ground meat (any kind or combo will do but the less fatty meats can be a little drier)
2 cups bread crumbs (whole wheat is fine)
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsps Italian Seasoning
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion or 1/4 cup dried minced onion
40 grinds of the pepper mill (I'm guessing 1 tsp black pepper)
1 tsp kosher salt

0 comments:

Post a Comment