Sunday, January 18, 2009

Yes, I'm already thinking about Valentine's Day (Cheese Fondue)

I love Valentine's Day. Some might say I'm a little obsessed. I think it stems from the fact that my brothers'(yes, twins) birthday is the day before so my parents always celebrated Valentine's Day pretty big. I always remember it as a big deal.

So in my house Valentine's Day is always something special. I star planning the menu right after New Years. Dinner includes candles and a nice bottle of wine for the grown-ups. Chocolate is a must at some point. But a romantic dinner is always the star and now that my little guy is big enough we even have our very own waitstaff.

But this year we have something extra special. My friend Kathy shared her amazing Cheese Fondue recipe. It's divine. I'm counting the days until I get to eat it. And Valentine's Day seems like the perfect opportunity. Enjoy!


Cheese Fondue

1 lb Gruyere
1 clove garlic
1 Tb cornstarch
1 cup Ugni Voignier wine (or other medium dry white)
nutmeg

Cube the cheese. Rub the fondue pot with garlic. Combine
cornstarch, and 1/4 of the wine and set aside.

Add remaining wine to fondue pot, heat on the stove on medium. Add
cheese slowly, stirring constantly. When cheese has melted, add
cornstarch mixture. Continue stirring until it's thick enough to
coat a spoon, and completely mixed in. Season to taste.

Serve at once on a warmer, gently simmering, with day old chunks of
French bread. Traditionally, hot tea or white wine and Kirsch are
served with fondue.
Serves 4

**Edited to take out the Kirsch that the recipe originally had in it. This is the adapted version that we ate and loved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment