Monday, April 12, 2010

Birthday Cake Part 1


The first few weeks of April are crazy around here! April 1st is my husband's birthday, then next is my dad's on the 4th. My Sous Chef was born on April 7th and my great grandmother (who my Sous Chef is named after) turned 94 this year on April 10th. Now...add in Easter to the mix and you can understand why things get a bit nuts. Not to mention school for Monkey, pool therapy for my back, Sous Chef learning to use the big girl potty and all the other daily things that add to our wonderful but chaotic life. So it's no wonder I was at a loss of what to make for my Number One Taste Tester's birthday. I was sore (it was a therapy day for me) and didn't have a lot of time.



My good friend Jennifer came to the rescue with a recipe for a wonderful, easy cake with a very fancy name. She suggested her Gateau a' l'orange
and because I know one of his fav things ever is chocolate and orange an idea was born! I'd make the cake and top it with chocolate ganache. Perfect & easy! Well...the cake part was easy. But by the time it was cool and ready for the chocolate I was a mess. I was in so much pain I could hardly stand so I called in reinforcements. My friend Kathy melted the chocolate and decorated the cake while I went to a hot bath to rest. I am so thankful that I have wonderful friends who helped save the day. And thanks to them the cake turned out awesome and Number One Taste Tester's birthday was a success. Thanks ladies!

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 sticks butter or coconut oil (DF)
3 eggs
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
Juice of 1 orange and juice of 2 oranges
Grated peel of 3 oranges

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Beat butter and powdered sugar together thoroughly.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each egg.
4. Add juice of 1 orange and all orange peel.
5. Add flour and baking powder. Mix well.
6. Pour into 8" round (greased) cake pan and bake 40-45 minutes.
7. Mix together the juice of 2 oranges and 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar (as needed).
8. Unmold cake on a plate and use a skewer to poke about 20 holes in the cake.
9. While the cake is still hot, pour sugar/orange juice mixture over the top slowly, allowing glaze to be absorbed by the cake.
10. Cool, serve, and enjoy. Delicious enjoyed with fresh whipped cream infused with Cointreau or drizzled with chocolate like pictured.

Recipe from The Glad Kitchen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment