Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Taco Seasoning

My family loves tacos. It is one meal that I know everyone will eat and I love that it's an easy one to make sure everyone gets lots of veggies!

What I hate is that most of the spice packets/mixes you can buy have lots of additives and extras that I don't want. Especially MSG. I'm one of the lucky ones who happens to be allergic. Not as bad as my allergy to Cilantro...but an allergy all the same.

So I came up with my own spice mix. Easy to make and super easy to use. My family loves it and that had no idea that I made it on my own until I told them. Hope your family loves it too. Enjoy!



Taco Seasoning

3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried minced onion
2 tsp season salt


1. Mix all ingredients together in small bowl.

2. To use in place of a spice packet use 3 tbsp of the mixture.

3. Add spices to pan of browned ground meat or Walnut Wheat Crumbles with 3/4 cup boiling water. Allow the mixture to simmer until the water is gone and the spices are evenly distributed.

4. Store left over spices in covered spice jar for the next time.


Oh! And I totally pulled a fast one on them all last Taco Night! Instead of the gobs of sour cream that they all usually love I tricked them by putting Greek Yogurt into a bowl and I didn't say anything. They all thought it tasted great and the only reason I got busted was because my dad went to refill the bowl. Opps! Supposedly he hates yogurt. LOL. It sure didn't stop him that night. Or the next day when he went back for the leftovers. So give it a try with your family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment