Thursday, October 15, 2009

Strawberry Balsamic Preserves

For my birthday this year my good friend Kathy made me a wonderful dinner, bought me a cool new cheese knife and some schmancy measuring cups and gave me a jar of preserved gold! I can't think of a better summer dessert than fresh strawberries macerated in balsamic vinegar and served as is or over ice cream. We have it quite a bit here and everyone loves it...even the kids.

But Kathy 'kicked it up a notch' and made Strawberry Balsamic Preserves. WOW. What a treat. I've tried it on the classic PB&J, spread on whole wheat toast and even swirled into some Greek Yogurt. Every way has been a treat. I may never go back to plain strawberry preserves again. It just won't be the same.

I asked Kathy if she would share her recipe and she did. She even said I could share it with everyone else. So here it is. Enjoy!



Strawberry Balsamic Preserves

2 quarts strawberries, crushed
1 pkg low/no sugar pectin
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3.5 cups sugar

1. Bring to a boil strawberries, pectin and balsamic.

2. Add sugar, return to a rolling boil for 1 minute.

3. Put in jars, water bath process for 10 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment