Thursday, August 27, 2009

Overnight Oatmeal (AKA Sweet & Creamy Steel Cut Oats)

A few weeks ago I wanted to attempt this overnight oatmeal I had heard so much about. I couldn't find the recipe my friends had talked about but I found a different one and started working on that...and just as I had dumped a LOT of ingredients in the crock pot someone found the recipe I was supposed to be using. Opps. The recipe I was working on was about 3 times the amount I needed.

It was too late to take out the brown sugar and spices to I decided to try my own version of Overnight Oatmeal. I added to the ingredients I already had to make a base, measured out a more reasonable amount of oats and let the crock pot do the work. The results were super yummy but I needed to try it a few more times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Now that it's been taste tested and approved by multiple sources I can now post it here. Enjoy!


Sweet & Creamy Steel Cut Oats


BASE (made ahead of time)

28 oz steel cut oats (1 metal canister full)
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups dried fruit
2 tbls cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
½ - 1 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients in a big bowl. Refill can with as much as you can. The rest of the mix becomes your first batch.

COOKING DIRECTIONS:

1 part Base Mix
3 parts water

Stove Top Directions: bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce to low and simmer for about 30 minutes or until oats are to the tenderness you like.

Crock Pot Directions: Place oats and liquid in crock pot. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Depending on how your crock pot cooks you may need to add more water.

Top with a drizzle of maple syrup and some milk or cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment