Sunday, August 23, 2009

Cranberry Rhubarb Chutney

I posted a similar recipe in June. I had gotten it from a mom at Mom's Night Out and it was to die for good. I figured I'd post it in the height of rhubarb season so people could enjoy it. I didn't get the chance to try it myself until today and I didn't like the recipe as much as I thought I would. I also realized that the other mom must have played with it too...because what I made didn't taste like what she served.

So I played around a bit and finally came up with something really yummy. I took it to our neighborhood swap and it was a huge hit. I served it to my family, my dad and my friend Colleen when they stopped by today and they loved it too. So I think we have a winner. Enjoy!



Hippy’s Cranberry Rhubarb Chutney

2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup red wine
2 cups cranberries (frozen or fresh is fine…it makes no difference)
3 cups rhubarb, diced small
½ cup chopped onion
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
Zest of 1 lemon or 3 drops lemon essential oil
2-inch cinnamon stick or 1 tsp ground cinnamon
10 black peppercorns or 1 tsp black pepper
10 cardamom pods
10 clove buds or 4 drops clove essential oil


1. Place all the ground and/or whole spices except for cinnamon stick in a tea ball or wrap in a piece of cheese cloth tied with string. This will make it easier to get the inedible pieces out later.

2. Grate ginger and place in medium sized sauce pan.

3. Add sugar, juice, wine, cranberries, rhubarb & spices to a pan. If you are using the Essential Oils instead of the clove and lemon do not add those now. You will add those at the end.

4. Over medium heat bring to a boil and let simmer until the cranberries burst and the mixture starts to thicken. This took me around 35 minutes and I should have gone a bit longer.

5. Remove spices and discard. If you are using the Essential Oils instead of the lemon zest and cloves stir those in now.

5. Allow chutney to cool for a few minutes and then place into jars. Will last for a week or so in the fridge or it can be water bath processed for longer storage.

Makes 5 cups

*Amazing served over grilled salmon, pork or chicken. Also great poured over cream or goat cheese and served with crackers. This recipe would also make great holiday and hostess gifts!

ETA: I made this again this weekend and found out too late that I was out of the apple juice the original recipe I had made called for. I used Apple Cider Vinegar instead and I have never been so happy to be out of juice before. As good as it was before it's even better now. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment