Sunday, January 25, 2009

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (aka Lactation Cookies)

These turned out so good it's hard to believe these things are actually good for you! I found the recipe at epicurious.com and only made a few changes. I didn't have Brewer's Yeast so I used Nutritional Yeast Flakes instead. Also, the original recipe called for only 1 cup of chocolate chips. I purposely read it to read 1 BAG of chocolate chips! smile.gif Here is the original recipe if you are at all interested. Lactation Cookies

And while these cookies may have been intended for nursing mommas, the added health benefits won’t hurt anyone in your family so enjoy!

Update May 2010
NEW:  I have added in a Reduced Allergen Version of the Lactation Cookies!   Doesn't hurt that they are vegan too! Enjoy!



Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:

1 C butter
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
4 T water
2 T flaxseed meal (no subs)
2 Lg eggs
1 t vanilla
2 C flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
3 C Thick cut oats/old fashioned oats
1 Bag Chocolate chips
2 T Brewers Yeast or Nutritional Yeast Flakes

Preheat oven at 375.

Mix 2 T of flaxseed meal and water, set aside 3-5 minutes.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs.
Stir flaxseed mix into butter mix and add vanilla.
Beat until well blended and mixture turns a pale yellow.
Mix dry ingredients, except oats and choc chips.
Add butter mix to dry ingredients.
Stir in the oats and then the choc chips.
Drop on ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake 8-12 minutes. (Although in my oven it took 15 minutes)

Made 4 dozen for me

7 comments:

Amy said...

So these are really, really good. But they are a little crunchy for my taste. Next time around I'll mix 1/2 butter & half butter flavored Crisco.

Anonymous said...

Those sound great! I love oatmeal cookies and can't wait to try this!

Carrie said...

I can't wait to make these! Maybe they will help my supply.

DMBaby said...

made them this afternoon. very crunchy yet chewy.

Western Mass Mama said...

I really like these! Hope they help my supply...

Elizabeth Granillo said...

Does the nutritional yeast work as well as the brewer's yeast?

Amy said...

Elizabeth,

First, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. My blog has had to take a back seat to my health so I just saw this comment tonight.

Nutritional yeast works just as well, if not better in my opinion and based on the nutritional information I've researched when it comes to nutritional yeast. It's chocked full of vitamins, protein and so many other good things that a little goes a long way.

I also feel that it's a better ingredient to have as a kitchen tool because it is so versatile and you can "sneak" it into just about anything to boost up the nutritional value of everyday foods. For instance, my kids BEG for me to put it on their popcorn. I actually had some pretty bummed out kids the last time I made popcorn because I was out of NYF.

Post a Comment