Friday, January 2, 2009
Then about 5 years ago I decided to make this cake and it's yummy sauce to give as gifts for Christmas. Ah-Karumba! That year I baked close to 30 cakes to give out to family, friends and business acquaintances. Thus a tradition was born and I still do Christmas Cakes each year. This year I added a new cake to the mix...but here is the classic and still the most popular.
Cranberry Orange Cake
* this is a very dense cake, not unlike a traditional pound cake
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick butter (salted or unsalted)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
zest of 1 orange (approx. 2 tsp.)
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tbs. milk
2 cups fresh cranberries
1. Mix dry ingredients and set aside.
2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
3. Add in eggs and zest and mix until very creamy and light in color.
4. Add in liquids and mix in well.
5. Add in dry ingredients. Batter will be stiff.
6. Fold in cranberries.
7. Pour into well greased 9 inch spring form pan.
8. Bake at 350 until golden brown and cake springs back when lightly touched- do not over bake. (Approx. 40 minutes)
Can be served warm or fully cooled. Best when served with Warm Butter Rum Sauce or fresh whipped cream.