Thursday, January 29, 2009

By request - White Bread

I don't make a lot of white bread. If I do use white flour it's usually in conjunction with something else, be it whole wheat or flax seed or whatever else I might have on hand. But I know my friend Kimmy has used this recipe to make bread for her family a number of times and she really like is. I hope this works for you. Enjoy!



~*~note - I don't know she got this recipe from the internet but I have no idea where she found it. If you recognize it please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due!~*~

Kimmy's Notes:This is just like a good store bought sandwich loaf. It's moist and fluffy and has just a hint of sourdough flavor. It's also very easy to cut once it's cooled. I nuked the milk (2%) for a minute to warm it right in the measuring cup and mixed it in a bowl, kneeding it for 8 minutes, cause I don't have a kitchen aid or food processor But I think that flattening it and rolling it before putting it in the pan was essential for the texture. I also took it out at 35 minutes. I don't know if my oven is too high, I don't think so. But it was definitely done at 35 minutes.

Perfect Sandwich Bread

Ingredients:

• 1 1/3 cups whole milk
• 1 envelope (2 1/2 teaspoons) rapid-rise yeast
• 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more if necessary
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• Nonstick cooking spray

Directions:

1. Heat the milk over low heat in a small saucepan until just warm to the touch. Pour it into a glass measuring cup and whisk in the yeast. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes to give the yeast a chance to dissolve.

2. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse 2 or 3 times to combine. With the motor running, pour the milk and yeast mixture and cooled melted butter into the feed tube and process until the dough forms a smooth ball, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula once or twice if necessary. To knead the dough, continue to process for 1 minute.

3. Coat the inside of a large mixing bowl with cooking spray. Shape the dough into a rough ball and place it in the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough stand in a warm, draft-free spot until the dough has doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

4. Coat the inside of a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and gently press it into a rectangle measuring about 1 inch thick and 9 inches long. Tightly roll the rectangle into a 9-inch-long cylinder and place it in the prepared pan, seam side down. Press the dough into the pan so that it touches the sides and reaches into the corners. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

6. Remove the plastic wrap from the loaf pan and place the pan in the oven. Bake the bread until it is golden brown and firm, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and turn the bread out onto a wire rack. Let it cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.

Fluffy White Sandwich Bread may be wrapped in plastic and then aluminum foil and frozen for up to 2 weeks. Makes one 9-inch loaf

0 comments:

Post a Comment