Friday, May 21, 2010

Lemon Flax Seed Muffins (Breakfast Rumble!)

My little guy is a tough kid to cook for in the morning.  He doesn't like traditional breakfast food and most mornings it's a fight to get him to eat anything...well other than candy or ice cream.  That doesn't fly with this momma.  The closest he's going to get to ice cream in the morning is a homemade smoothie with some whip cream and sprinkles on top.  And even that is pushing it. Smoothies yes...but I'm not usually awake enough in the morning to manage whip cream and sprinkles.

But we have found some common ground in the breakfast war.  He hates eggs but loves bacon.  He once told us, in a dreamy teenage crush type voice, that he could never deny bacon.  He hates french toast but will eat pancakes, as long as they are blueberry and not chocolate.  And he likes muffins.  A lot.  Any kind.  But lately he's been asking for lemon muffins.  I didn't have a lemon muffin recipe.

Well, he turns seven on Saturday so momma decided to make a lemon muffin recipe for him.  I looked on line and read a bunch of different recipes.  Then I looked through some of my great grandmother's old church & VFW cookbooks.  Now I had a plan.  Something that would be sweet and tangy for the picky kid and something healthy that would appease the parent too.  I made them yesterday morning and they were snapped up fast.  And Monkey thought they were so good he asked if I could make them again today.  I'm a softy, so I did.

Best part, the batter can be made the night before and stored covered in the fridge.  Just spoon into muffin tin and bake in the morning.  Easy peasy and they still taste awesome!  Sweet but not too sweet and with a nice lemon zing.  But even if you make them all in one chunk of time you still have a fresh, hot & homemade breakfast in under 30 minutes. Hope you like them as much as the birthday boy did.  Enjoy!

Lemon Flax Seed Muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar plus extra to sprinkle on top
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup flax meal or ground flax seed
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
lemon zest (optional)


Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 400 and prepare muffin pan with liners or by greasing pan.
2.  Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
3.  Add wet ingredients and mix until combined.
4.  Spoon into muffin pan.
5.  Sprinkle tops of muffins with a little sugar and the lemon zest if you are using that.  
6.  Bake for 15-30 minutes or until golden brown.

Prep: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes 1 dozen

6 comments:

Ben and Carrie Tracks said...

How do you think these would turn out with applesauce instead of butter.....hmm....have you tried it? My mouth is watering as I type...thanks for the recipe!

Mindy Skains Independant Scentsy Consultant said...

Can I use flour instead of Flax? Its not the easiest thing to find in NO WHERE's VILE

Ben and Carrie Tracks said...

You might try poppy seeds instead of flax....that's my plan!

Amy said...

You can skip the flax for sure. But look in the baking aisle. Bob's Red Mill makes Flax Meal and it's usually pretty available. You can also try your local hippy health food store.

Amy said...

As for the applesauce, I don't see why not. I just haven't tried that with this recipe. I would only use unsweetened for sure. Please try it and report back!

Ben and Carrie Tracks said...

Well, I made the recipe with applesauce (unsweetened) and it turned out great! I often sub in applesauce for oils or butter, but was unsure of the result for muffins like these... 1/2 cup was perfect. I also used poppy seeds instead of flax (I love flax and it has so many great properties but can't have fiber due to G.P.) anyway....I used 4 teaspoons poppy seeds.

Thanks again,
Carrie

Post a Comment