Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hot German Potato Salad (Guest Blogger)

Here is another great recipe from my friend Amanda. I can't wait to make this!  Don't forget to check out her amazing Eco-Friendly blog, theecofriendlyfamily.com.

I LOVE this recipe.

I stumbled upon a dish like this and loved it and could NOT find a recipe (the maker was unknown). All I had were my taste buds and some ingredients that I remembered. I scoured the internet looking for a recipe and found a few that looked like they might be distant relatives. After some trial and error I ended up with my own recipe. I love it. It's perfect and easy and so yummy.



Here is my beloved,

Hot German Potato Salad


Ingredients:

• 5 lbs Red Potatoes, cubed
• 1 lb bacon
• 1 med-large onion sliced into strips
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons white sugar
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 3/4 cup water
• 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 tbs chopped fresh parsley (add to potatoes w/ kielbasa, before adding sauce mix)
• 1 kielbasa (or 3 brats if in a pinch)

Instructions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 20 minutes. Drain.

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving drippings.

Saute onions in bacon drippings until they are golden-brown.

Add kielbasa and parsley to potatoes.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add to the sauteed onions and cook and stir until bubbly, then remove from heat. Stir in water and vinegar, then return to the stove and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute. Carefully stir in bacon. Poor over potatoes and kielbasa. Carefully toss/stir to coat. Heat through.

For better flavor, pour the pot into a crock pot and set to ‘warm’ for a few hours before serving. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment