Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blueberry-Juneberry-Rhubarb Jam (low sugar)


I love homemade jams and jellies. I hate the amount of sugar some of the recipes call for! I live with two diabetics and the idea of having something with that much sugar makes me cringe...almost as much as the cost for buying one small jar of the spreadable fruit at the grocery store. We try to stay away from fake sugars here and go for more natural options like stevia so the recipes calling for sugar substitutes don't work for me either. Looks like I have a mission! Especially because my friend Kathy and I bought a brand new All-American Stainless Steal Pressure Canner to use this garden season and we hope to do a wee bit of canning.

So I researched some, played some, thought some and finally just dove in and tried something out. I used a high acid fruit so I didn't add any extra acid like lemon juice or vinegar. I was a little worried about it setting up so I had a couple of friends taste test and everyone has agreed so far that it was perfect. And it's so sweet one even asked me if I was sure it was low sugar! Score one for me. Here is the recipe I made this weekend. More to follow as I make them up this spring. Enjoy!



Note: This recipe calls for a food mill or food grinder. I will be getting the food grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid soon...the old school food mill I used sucked. Bad. Luckily the friend who lent it to me agreed how much it sucked so I didn't have to feel bad at the amount of swearing that was going on in my kitchen while using it.

Ingredients

1 lb frozen blueberries
2 cups juneberries/serviceberries (if you don't have access to these you can just add an extra 2 cups of blueberries)
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1/4 water
1 cup sugar
1 packet/box sure-jell
1/2 tsp butter (optional, can reduce foaming)

Directions

1. Pulse blueberries in food processor to break up the berries some. You don't want to do much...a few pulses is fine. You want some texture in the preserves.
2. Use a food mill or food grinder to process juneberries. You can skip this part but they have larger seeds and you will have a better product if you process these right.
3. Mix sure-jell and sugar in small bowl.
4. Place all the fruit and water in a medium size sauce pan and stir in the sugar mixture. Turn heat up to medium and start cooking fruit.
5. Add in the small amount of butter to reduce foaming if you choose.
6. Bring to boil and boil for 3 minutes.
7. Ladle into prepared jam jars and process in your preferred method.

Makes 2 pints.

Coming soon...low sugar strawberry balsamic preserves & Chai Tea Concentrate!

2 comments:

GMOGONE said...

I have been GMO free since June 1, 2013 and plan to do so for one year minimum. Maybe the GMOs will disappear(I can wish).
One of my strategies is canning. I do quite a bit of it, but wonder about fruits and jams. I use non GMO organic can sugar in small amounts, but wonder about the thickener in Sure-Jell. Do you have and Non-GMO ideas for canning fruits?

Thanks
Suzanne

GMOGONE said...

I have been GMO free since June 1, 2013 and plan to do so for one year minimum. Maybe the GMOs will disappear(I can wish).
One of my strategies is canning. I do quite a bit of it, but wonder about fruits and jams. I use non GMO organic can sugar in small amounts, but wonder about the thickener in Sure-Jell. Do you have and Non-GMO ideas for canning fruits?

Thanks
Suzanne

Post a Comment