Monday, February 2, 2009

Homemade Biscuits


My family loves biscuits. My Monkey is 5 and he said he would eat them at every meal if I made them. My husband also loves them although he prefers that I cover them in a rich sausage gravy. On Saturday he was forced to suffer through only being able to have them with homemade strawberry jam. Somehow he survived.

I tried Paula Deen's recipe from FoodNetwork.com. Overall the texture was great but they were a little on the salty side. Also, they took longer to cook then the recipe said they should and the recipe didn't have a temp to cook them on. I read the comments and tried the 400 degrees that most people used. Next time I'll try 450. I also used sour milk (my substitute for buttermilk in most recipes that require buttermilk) and it really worked out well. Finally, one of the comments suggested to leave the biscuits for 20 minutes after you cut them to let them rest. I left them for just over 10 minutes and really think it helped to keep them so light and fluffy.

I have marked the changed I made or will make the next time I make these...which I will for sure do. Maybe even tonight with dinner.




Paula Deen’s Biscuits


Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt ½ tsp salt
8 tablespoons butter, cubed
3/4 cup milk ¾ cup buttermilk or sour milk

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Cut butter into mixture until it begins to look like cornmeal.

Make a well with flour mixture and slowly add milk into the middle. Knead dough with your fingers and add milk when necessary.

Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to desired thickness. Cut with small biscuit cutter. (I used a pizza cutter to cut them and it was quick & painless. Also, no wasted dough.)

Butter bottom of skillet and place biscuits in pan. (I skipped this part and just used a cookie sheet to bake them. )

Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.







0 comments:

Post a Comment