This recipe is based off of the good old standard from the Betty Crocker cookbook. Enjoy!
1/2 loaf French or Italian bread, cubed
2 1/2 cups milk, scalded
2 tbs butter
1/3 brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup raisins or craisins
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Spray 1 1/2 qt baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Heat milk and butter to scald.
4. Mix brown sugar & cinnamon together.
5. Layer cubed bread, raisins and cinnamon sugar mixture into making dish.
6. Mix eggs, vanilla, salt and sugar in bowl. Slowly add in heated milk mixture.
7. Pour egg mixture into baking dish, coating all pieces.
8. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
9. Bake in water bath (make sure to use hot or boiling water) for 65 - 70 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
~ This is even better if you use left over cinnamon rolls to make it. Reduce the sugars to 1/4 cup each and omit the cinnamon, craisins and raisins if you like.
~ Sometimes I'll add a little bit of fresh grated nutmeg to the custard and it changes everythign ever so slightly and is such a yummy addition.